All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) is often considered one of the best movies of all time — so, many often wonder where they can stream and watch it online! Below, we tell you where you can check out this phenomenal film.
Where to Stream and Watch All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Unfortunately, All Quiet on the Western Front is not available to watch on any streaming platform at the moment. However, viewers can rent or buy the movie digitally through Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Google Play, Youtube, Redbox, and elsewhere.
By clicking the buttons below, you will be directed to the sites where you can buy and rent this 1930 film. If a streaming service adds this film to their online platform, we will update this article accordingly!
About All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Genre: War / Drama
Starring: Lew Ayres, Louis Wolheim, John Wray, Arnold Lucy
Directed by: Lewis Milestone
All Quiet on the Western Front is based on the tragic novel by Erich Maria Remarque. This film follows a group of young German soldiers during World War I who are convinced to go to war by their teacher.
Of course, war is tragic, heartbreaking, and horrendous — and the young men learn this. The story is told through the eyes of these men.
1930’s All Quiet on the Western Front was nominated for four Oscars after its release. However, it ended up only winning two: Best Picture and Best Director (Lewis Milestone).
Related – The Top 10 Best Movies of the 1930s
Other Interesting Facts About the Film
Keep reading for some interesting facts about All Quiet on the Western Front (1930):
- Because this film is considered a pre-code film, before the Hays Code was strictly enforced, modern-day audiences may find it quite graphic and bloody. At the time, Universal Pictures thought the content (showing how war really is) was important, so they pushed for this to be shown in the film. As a result, many consider this to be one of the most violent and graphic movies of Old Hollywood.
- Director Lewis Milestone created this movie without music or a score, as he didn’t want any music to take away from the serious topic of war.
- The last shot of the film was done after filming, when all of the actors had left. As a result, the hand was a shot of director Lewis Milestone’s hand.
- All Quiet on the Western Front was banned in Italy, Poland, and Germany (as well as others) upon its release.
- Director Lewis Milestone hired many German veterans of World War I that were living in Los Angeles. Milestone first hired them to gain their expertise and ensure that the uniforms and objects used in the film were similar to what they experienced. However, after finding so many German veterans, he ended up hiring them as extras as officers in the film. They subsequently helped put the extras in line and act as soldiers should, to help make the film more realistic.
- The first movie to ever win both Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars.
- All Quiet on the Western Front is the last movie of silent film star Raymond Griffith.
- After playing the lead in this film, actor Lew Ayres became a pacifist and was a conscientious objector during World War II. As a result of this, many movie theaters banned movies starring Ayres during the Second World War.
Comment below your own thoughts about 1930’s All Quiet on the Western Front. Do you think this is one of the best movies of all time? Hit the comments below with all your thoughts and opinions on this amazing film. I’d love to hear what you think!
Plus, remember to sign up for our weekly email newsletter below for the latest nostalgic news!